The cold weather has put a lot of stress on pipes and meters over the past few days. Loudoun Water wants to remind customers the importance of preventing frozen pipes.
If you suspect that you have a frozen pipe or meter that is not within your home, please call Loudoun Water at 571.291.7880 (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) or our after hours emergency number at 571.291.7878. Always contact Loudoun Water before contacting a plumber.
How do you know if you have a frozen pipe or meter?
If you turn on a faucet and only have a trickle of water coming out or no water at all and it has been very cold for a period of time, suspect a frozen pipe or meter. Identify whether the problem is throughout the house or in one area.
If it’s only in one area of your household you may be able to thaw the pipe by opening the cabinets and allowing the warmer air to circulate around the pipes. Always remove any toxic substances first if there are small children in the home. You could use a hair dryer on low or a portable heater, but avoid using electrical appliances if there is standing water.
If there is no water, throughout your household, please contact Loudoun Water. In order to assist you, we recommend for someone to be home. The Loudoun Water representative will check with you before leaving to ensure your water has been reinstated.
Preventative steps prior to winter weather:
· Close the inside valves and drain the pipes leading to your outside hose bib (faucet).
· Know where your main shut off valve is and label it. Minimize the potential for water damage by ensuring that everyone in the household knows how to shut off the water in case of an emergency.
· Insulate pipes in unheated areas. Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry insulation to keep pipes from freezing.
During cold weather:
· During cold weather to prevent your pipes from freezing, allow a faucet to drip cold water slowly. The faucet you choose should be the one that is the greatest distance from your main water shut off valve.
· Open kitchen and cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Always remove any toxic substances first if there are small children in the home.