Loudoun Water is closed today, March 5, 2015 due to inclement weather. If you have an emergency requiring immediate assistance please call 571-291-7878. Be safe!
As temperatures drop, customers are urged to take preventative steps to avoid frozen pipes and/or meters.
To Prevent Frozen Pipes:
· Eliminate sources of cold air near pipes by closing off crawl spaces, sealing drafty windows and doors, and insulating walls and attics.
· If pipes are exposed to cold air, wrap them with insulation or even newspaper will help.
· Keep water moving through pipes by turning on the faucet farthest from your main valve to a very small, steady trickle.
· Keep pipes in cupboards and vanities warmer by opening the doors to those cupboards to let warm air in.
If Your Pipes Freeze:
· Shut off the water immediately at the main shut off valve.
· You can melt the frozen water inside the pipes by warming the air around it using a hair dryer. Do not use a kerosene heater, blow torch or open flame
· Once pipes are thawed, slowly turn water back on and check all joints for leaks and other areas for cracks that may have occurred as a result of the freeze.