Water meters are issued to contractors who are building new properties in Loudoun. The meter provides each property access to the public water system. Prior to receiving a meter, all connection fees must be paid and the lot has to have been inspected. Water meter installations for 5/8” to 1” meters are done between 24 and 48 hours after this. For installation for meters larger than 1” our Field Service Department will contact you to schedule your meter delivery.
The process to obtain your meter is simple. Please use the links to find more information about each step.
- Request your Connection Invoice. Connection invoice request and payment can be performed any time after the project has been permitted but is required prior to meter release.
- Pay for your connection.
- Obtain beneficial use inspection from your Loudoun Water inspector.
- Are you ready for your meter? Get construction details for the different meter size applications. A failed meter crock will result in a $45.00 re-inspection fee. General guidelines required at meter installation:
- Meter setter adjusted to correct meter dimension being requested?
- Bottom of crock covered in gravel for residential meters?
- Flared connections at meter setter visible for commercial meters?
- Tracer wire installed?
- Grade around crock correct?
- Frame level and centered on crock?
- Meter setter centered in meter crock?
- Request your meter
- Meter set (1” and smaller) or meter delivery (1.5” and larger)
Reclaimed water meters have additional steps; please read Reclaimed Water Information Packet for more information.
To transfer service out of a builder's name, please fill out the Builder Transfer Form. For a detailed narrative on how to get your project permitted and receive your meter, read the Loudoun Water Process for Project Permitting and Meter Install.